5pm wedding attire?
i have a wedding to attend in mid-june. i don't know the bride or groom--the groom is my boyfriend's cousin, and they don't talk a lot, but he's expected to attend with date (that's me) in tow--and i feel awkward asking my boyfriend's family about what to wear, since i don't really know any of them yet...
yes. this is also the weekend i am meeting his family. (or the paternal half of them, anyway.)
so, i come to the fatshionista hive mind. you want statistics? i've got statistics for you!
1. it's a 5PM wedding in a big old house in south georgia (read: extremely south georgia) in june. (ALSO: not exactly a house: www.pebblehill.com
2. it's an indoor wedding, but it will likely still be hot as fire.
3. i wear anything from a 14 to a 20 in dresses, as i am littler on top than on the bottom. i wear a 38C, if that helps? and i'm lately a pretty solid 20 on the bottom. my biggest problem with dresses is this: if they fit in the hips, they're too loose on top. if they fit on top, they're too tight on the hips. so. that.
4. i am extremely fair, with freckles, and there's no possibility of a tan. none. at all. whatsoever. so, i look fairly terrible in oranges, corals, reds (and i cannot wear red to a wedding in the south anyway, nuh uh).
5. i'm about 5'9", 248 pounds.
there's a black calvin klein knee-length somewhat-strappy dress at the tjmaxx around me, and i was thinking of trying that. but i am not sure about wearing black? i LOVE black. and i know that people say wearing black is okay. but i am not sure how conservative his family is on the issue. and yes, i KNOW, i ought to just ask. i ought to ask! i also have a chocolate brown tea-length satiny skirt and strapless top that were from a bridesmaid performance. i'd rather not do strapless, but i guess i could find something to go with the skirt? maybe? possibly? anyway, i am thinking some dark jewel tone or a chocolate brown, maybe. maybe? not too bare? i'd like it to be knee-length, at least.
as far as budget goes, i do not want to spend an unholy amount of money. but i do want to look nice. and it would be nice if this were a dress i could wear again.
here are a few pictures of me, so that you are not flying all blind and stuff. of course, none of them is a straight-on shot, but i tried for fullish-body rather than myspacey-face, anyways.
thanks for your help, o hive mind.
edited to say that yes, okay, i will ask. also, to stick this other picture behind the elljay cut. ::shakes fist at elljay cut::
thanks for everyone's help so far. i still would like ideas about where to shop, etc. i'm in central alabama, near birmingham, but might possibly be making a trip to atlanta, and i'll definitely be down on the coast before this...but that's just one week before the wedding, so, cutting it close.